Friday, February 12, 2010

Technology Immigrant


I recently heard the term "Technology Immigrant" being used to describe those of us who are not technologically savvy but are trying. It fits so well into the scenario in our house with the girls being "Technology Natives". You see, it is like language. I still have a foot in the old world and am trying to make sense of the new. They grew up "speaking" the lingo of computers, iPods, cell phones, etc. They don't have to think about it, translate it and then interact with it. Case in point...as soon as I decided to do a post about this the computer wouldn't let me upload my picture! I found it on the camera, but couldn't transfer it! I was stumped! I could have asked the girls and they probably would have figured out which key to push, which program to run, etc. but it took me two days to play with the process. Bless them when they are patient and agree to help me with my 10,000th question on the same thing...curse them when they get frustrated with me and tell me to "figure it out yourself, mom!". I totally understand what it means to be a Technology Immigrant...lost between two worlds.

1 comment:

  1. If they would only write instruction manuals for these darn technology thingamajigs! :-)

    ReplyDelete