Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Food, Fathers, Friends and Fans

Sunday, June 20th, was the US celebration of Father's Day. We gathered with some friends, had a great meal and watched Italy play in the World Cup. A fantastic way to celebrate!

Mulberries from our friends garden. I had seen these at the market but didn't understand what they were! So glad to have clarification! Who remembers the Dr. Seuss book "And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street!"? Apparently they are very sweet...my allergies prohibit me from actually eating them but I sure wish I could.

Snails! A Puglian treat cooked in tomatoes! Actually quite good but one of those foods that requires some work for a little reward.

Eileen trying to eat the snail the traditional way...using your canine tooth, poke a small hole in the shell and suck out the contents.

Sara preparing a delicious peach and apricot crumble from fruit off her own trees. It was delish!

Dining al fresco. We had a great American/Italian lunch...hamburgers, potato salad, snails, spinach torte.


The watermelon presentation was fantastic!

Fabulous Italian coffee afterwards...I love the coffee sevice!

And then my favorite Team Italia fan!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fab party!! How come I wasn't invited? Just teasin! :-)))

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the food pictures!! What a great day...Food, family and friends..Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I saw the snails in the market yesterday and was tempted to get them but I want to have a good idea of how to cook them before I have them crawling all over my kitchen as I search the internet to see what to do!!!

    ReplyDelete