Sunday, October 31, 2010

Roasted Chestnuts

A few blog entries back I showed you some of the chestnuts at the market. On Sunday afternoons you can go to some of the green grocers and get fresh roasted chestnuts. We caught this guy just before he was closing up. Lots of people were walking around with bags of warm chestnuts. I can't eat them because of my allergies but the rest of the family can and they say they are pretty good.



Here are the containers piled high with the fresh nuts.

So I did try to do this myself at home. Rachael's boyfriend (he has done this a lot, right, Pete??) told me how to soak the nuts first then score the rounded part so that when they are heated the steam will escape. Roast them in a hot oven (180*c) for 5-10 minutes and then wrap in a towel for about 5 minutes. It worked and we were able to enjoy them fresh from our own oven! You should try it! Let me know how it works for you.

1 comment: