Tuesday, March 9, 2010

International Women's Day

Yesterday, March 8, was the 100th celebration of International Women's Day. This is an event that was started in the US but caught on big in the rest of the world. Italy celebrates by giving women beautiful mimosa flowers. These I got when I went to coffee with some friends and the cafe owner gave a corsage to each of us.


Here are Eileen and Olivia with the beautiful mimosas.

Our dear friend Gilda sent us this explanation: "New York 1908.
The women working in a textile industry went on strike
to protest against their bad conditions of work. On March 8th
the company blocked the exits imprisoning the women and
a fire killed 129 of them. March 8th became the symbol
of all the oppressions the women had to fight all along the
centuries and the starting point to redeem their own
dignity. Happy women's day!"

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful thing! I am wondering why I didn't get a corsage? Oh yeah, I'm in America :)

    ReplyDelete