Wednesday, March 17, 2010

To Market, To Market

Yuki called me yesterday and invited me to the weekly Trani outdoor market. I had no idea of what I would want but this is what I came home with for just over 10 euros:


1 kilo of black beans - have to buy them when you see them because they are rare - sun-dried tomatoes, Romano cheese
Purple Italian eggplant...too colorful to pass up... and broccoli rabe.
This piece of white fish was part of my key purchase. It is called Baccala and is a dried salted cod that is sold in long fish sized fillets. You take it home, rinse it, cut it and let it soak for a few days changing the water a few times a day. It is a very traditional Italian food that historically traveled well to areas away from the coast where the population needed to eat fish to comply with church dictates i.e. Friday fish.
I will be cooking with it either tonight or tomorrow so I will let you know what I come up with.

1 comment:

  1. That is like the fish in the Stega Nona book by TOmie DePaolo - very cool - your purchases look yummy - except of course the eggplant - today at school we cut up eggplant and other fruits to get their seeds - it was a consensus with my students that any of them who had been made to try it - hated it
    ros

    ReplyDelete