Friday, January 15, 2010

Size Matters

Today I thought I would show you the sizes of some of the products we purchase here as they are vastly different than what you are used to at home. I am using our 20 pound cat, Shanoah, as a visual gauge...OK, I know that a 20 pound cat is off the charts anyway but he does serve as a reference...and such a cutie!

Mayonnaise. Largest bottle I can get at the local grocery is 250 milliliters (approx. one cup or 8 ounces). It is a familiar brand though! I like the saying under the label "Morbida e delicato"...sounds like morbid and delicate but actually is "soft".

Peanut Butter (calve) 350 grams (12.34 oz). I have to drive to the big box store about 20 minutes away to get this product as I have not seen it anywhere else closer. There is a brand that the health food store sells but it tastes so bad the girls won't even eat it in a pinch. I buy 5 or 6 bottles of the pictured brand at a time and pay 3.15 euro each ($4.54). A mom has to do what a mom has to do!

Milk! Our milk comes in these one liter plastic bottles (approx. one quart). Initially we would get the one liter tetra packs but cutting the pack and not spilling the milk all over the refrigerator got to be a problem that we solved with buying the milk in different packaging. There are no larger containers for milk. No gallon sizes here...where would they put them? These fit nicely in the micro sized fridge plus can be kept on the floor before opened...they need no refrigeration until used. Ditto for eggs. Don't look for them in the coolers at the store. They will be stacked up somewhere else.

1 comment: